A bit of History

Guido Carocci, an important Florence historian, mentions the Villa in some of his publications, such as Comune di San Casciano in Val di Pesa (1892) and I dintorni di Firenze (1875).

Villa Marcellini is located on the way that leads from Mercatale to Campoli, in the heart of the Chianti region, among vineyards and olive groves. Even if it was modernized and made more elegant, the Villa preserves the traces of its antiquity – especially on the south façade. At the beginning of the 15th century it was property of the Del Buono family and was already called Marcellini. In 1453 it passed to the Bonaccorsi or Di Bonaccorso family and was later owned by various families, such as the Biliotti’s, Saltamacchie’s, Morelli’s and the Marsili’s from Siena. In 1661 it passed to another Del Buono family and in 1669 it was finally purchased by the illustrious Buontalenti family, direct descendant of the renowned architect Bernardo. Thanks to the refined aesthetic taste of the Bountalenti’s, the Villa was embellished and a chapel was built in front of it. This harmonious chapel – recently refurbished – has a little cupola with an elegant shape. Its beautiful ribbed ceiling can be seen from the main entrance door, which has a curvilinear pediment interrupted in the centre. Right on its side facing the chapel, Villa Marcellini features the blazon of the Marsili’s, an Earl Marquis family from Pienza (Siena).
The members of this aristocratic family (16th – 18th Century) had been occupying the major Sienese public magistratures since 1513. In the 16th century they also owned lands and estates in Fogliano, Montecchio and Ginestreto. In 1753 they were members of the Sienese patricianship.”

 


Villa Marcellini – built in the 12th Century – was originally a sighting tower part of the Bondelmonte defensive wall, which consisted of a series of defensive fortifications built on dominant positions along the way that leads from Florence to Siena.
The Villa was built around the tower only in the 15th century. Its original structure reflected the Saint Stephen’s Knights style, a very common style in the Chianti region.
In the 16th Century, the Villa was renovated in Renaissance style.
Historical evidence suggests that it later became house of the Marcelline sisters, from whom the Villa and the whole estate took the name.
Villa Marcellini today

The most important transformations of the Villa took place at the beginning of the 20th century, when the ancient tower was demolished (there are pictures of that period). The Villa was brought back to its original Renaissance style through extensive restoration works which were carried out using carefully chosen materials, such as handmade Impruneta terracotta and Pietra Serena stone.
The garden was redesigned following the Renaissance Italian-style model. It now features a particular structure of various flower-beds and an ancient circular three-level basin in the middle. The botanic garden features a variety of unique species – you can’t miss it. At a lower level, there is an opean-air pool with a solarium surrounded by an olive grove – a very peaceful place.
There is also a wrought iron gazebo where our guests can live sweet moments of relax.
The landscape of the Chianti hills is marvellous – vineyards, traditional villas and famous castles built along the way that leads from Florence to Siena.


On the south façade of the Villa, next to the complex geometry of the Italian-style garden, there is a sundial that still provides accurate time. The motto HORAS TIBI SERENAS is written there in bas-relief.
On the lower terracing, a rose pergola leads our guests to unforgettable contemplative walks alongside the underlying olive grove. Among the perfumes of the aromatic and officinal essences – typical of the Mediterranean scrub – the borders between past and present seem to fade away, offering our guests really magic moments.

Villa Marcellini | Via Campoli, 60 | 50026 San Casciano (Firenze) Italy| info@villamarcellini.it | Tel. +39 335 240094 | Fax +39 0558218389                    site by Spot